PDA

View Full Version : Tatting Chess Set

Kersti
18-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Does anyone remember the tatted chess set from eons ago? If I remember rightly there was a pattern - or was it just photos? Anyone have the pattern and/or photos???

PattyD
18-08-2010, 06:52 AM
I have the pictures someplace, hope they are still on my hard disk after the computer crash.

LindaJo
18-08-2010, 07:05 AM
would this be what you're looking for?
http://www.gmuend.occhi.de/html/beispiele.html

LadyDoc
18-08-2010, 07:15 AM
I found this reference: Schaakspel (Chess) ----------------------------Ineke Kuiperji (Dutch).

And, is this the picture you mean?

http://www.gmuend.occhi.de/html/beispiele.html

IcePrincess
18-08-2010, 08:26 AM
She sold the pattern for the chess set at Achern two years ago. Unfortunately she was not there last year.
They also have other board games and various kind of (working!) carousels.
Do you need the pattern urgently? If not, I'd ask the people organizing the exhibition for a possibility to contact Ms. Kuiperji.

I'd planned to do that anyway since I regret NOT buying the pattern. I would love to make such a chess set for friends who are heavily into board gaming.

Let me edit this: I found on Riets blog http://bengelblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/new-book-of-ineke-kuiperij.html
that you can order the patterns of Ineke there. Try to contact Riet!

soyloquesoy
18-08-2010, 01:44 PM
I had not come across her wonderful work yet, really lovely, thanks for sharing :smile:

Josie Passell
18-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Thank you for putting in the link, lovely chess set.

alizandria
18-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Wow that is amasing!

Judy
18-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks to the two of you for posting that site. Wonderful dimensional stuff. I have a nephew who has a giant part of the basement devoted to trains, and a wife who tats. Should I sent the link to him, or her?

Judy
18-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Afterthought on the chess set. What color would the opponents be? Black? That will be tough for these old eyes. You have all those tiny caps and crowns to do, and the Knight. Oh my!

poeticfairy
18-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Wow, just when I think people can't get any more creative with tatting, they do. That chess set and the train are amazing!

xstchntat
18-08-2010, 11:32 PM
That is really amazing! A little too complicated for me I think at this time.

Maureen L
19-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Afterthought on the chess set. What color would the opponents be? Black? That will be tough for these old eyes. You have all those tiny caps and crowns to do, and the Knight. Oh my!

And it's all done in size 80 thread! - but you could always use other colours of course - Ginny Weathers began it in gold and something else, didn't you, Ginny? Lots of people have started that one, but I've never seen a finished set yet !

tatknot
19-08-2010, 02:34 AM

Ah, Judy, but if you are creating a custom chess set, there is not need to bow to tradition. You could have yellow opposing blue, red opposing white, or blue opposing pink. You could use your favorite colors or those of the recipient!

carolivy
19-08-2010, 03:13 AM
Ah, Judy, but if you are creating a custom chess set, there is not need to bow to tradition. You could have yellow opposing blue, red opposing white, or blue opposing pink. You could use your favorite colors or those of the recipient!

Exactly! I did one for my father in crochet and did the pieces in Blue and Red.

Maureen L
19-08-2010, 04:00 AM
And I have just remembered that Ginny's was burgundy and gold!

Judy
19-08-2010, 05:30 AM
And it's all done in size 80 thread! - but you could always use other colours of course - Ginny Weathers began it in gold and something else, didn't you, Ginny? Lots of people have started that one, but I've never seen a finished set yet !

I missed the part about it being in size 80! It couldn't be 10 or even maybe 20, but 80? 80??80!!! So the balls where the heads are are marble sized?

Kersti
19-08-2010, 09:59 AM
To me the biggest issue is how to stiffen so that they really are workable

IcePrincess
19-08-2010, 10:22 AM
I think that the stiffening issue already starts with the thread choice - there are threads that work up stiff and such ones that work up just that tad softer.

I realized that the turkish nylon thread works up wonderfully stable for 3D-thingies. I'm on one of Linda's flowers at present and I won't need to stiffen it any further, I can even leave out some of the wire she suggested.
Admittedly, tatting it can be a pain and I wouldn't dream of doing it without Thread Heaven.

I could imagine though that Ineke gives stiffening suggestions in her pattern, it was quite a lot of paper.

Lynn
19-08-2010, 03:29 PM
To me the biggest issue is how to stiffen so that they really are workable

Workable? Workable? If I ever tatted this, I'd take a put in a shadow box and lock it!

Sonja
19-08-2010, 05:53 PM
I have seen the caroussel, the train, the village and the chess in real on different exhibithions and they are just as beautiful as they look on the pictures. She is dutch, like me and I met her several times. The chess has a normal size, like most chess.

IcePrincess
20-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Sonja, do you know how to contact Ineke?

Sonja
20-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Sended you a private mail about Ineke

Kaira
26-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Yes, I have the pattern. I've not made anything from it though. It's in Dutch, there might have been a sheet with translation of the terms but my memory fails me. Anyway it was pretty easy to figure out the patterns I believe there were drawings. I can dig it out and check if you want.

I believe I ordered it through Riet. She was very helpful and nice :)

ETA: I just found this Order information (http://www.palmettotatters.org/patterns/RietBooksbyInekeKuiperij.pdf)
I don't know if the prices and e-mail address is still valid, but at least you can see her earlier books.

teresa
30-08-2010, 01:21 AM
Kaira - I would very much like to know if the patterns have drawings so I can understand them without knowing dutch.

Kaira
01-09-2010, 04:58 PM
I've just checked the books. There are pictures of the finished pieces, the written pattern and drawn diagrams. The diagrams did not have stitch count but show how everything is connected. In addition I got a sheet with a translation of some of the words. It was Dutch - German - English translations.
I am quite sure that you will be able to understand the patterns.

TeresaW
01-09-2010, 07:50 PM
I have all of Ineke's books and it is very easy to get a pretty reliable translation by typing a Dutch sentence or two into whatever you use as a word processor from Ineke's books. Select and then copy the information you just typed. Switch to a free translation site and paste the information then request translation from Dutch to English (or whatever language you need). You can then copy that text and go back to your word processor and paste the English translation, make any small changes you might need and save the file. I've been using Wordmonkey from Google lately and it works pretty well but remember you'll need to tweek the translation as the free translations are literal and you need to use your knowledge of tatting, Ineke's pictures of the finished items and the diagrams to get workable translations.