PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Shuttle Ends Separating

Kersti
01-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Posted by pen13guins
on Fri Aug 2, 2002

Hi all,

A few months ago I got a lovely E-tatters shuttle from the ShuttleShop (??) Though it is very pretty it can not be used. When I first got it I loaded it with size 70 thread and it tatted nicely. Now the ends have separated and I can't even use it for size 10 thread. It has been a very humid summer and I think this may have something to do with it.

Does anyone know of a way I can get the ends to touch again? Is that possible, or do I have to toss the pretty shuttle away?

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

--
Laurie in Boston

Kersti
01-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Posted by smark69106
on Sat Aug 3, 2002

Laurie, Contact Chris at the Shuttle Shop directly

Patty Markley
Medical Lake WA

Posted by lace2tat
on Sat Aug 3, 2002

Hi Laurie,
I don't use post type shuttles, but I know from years of being on the lace lists that theres is one safe way of bringing the points back together and
that is to use an ordinary spring type clothes pin. You may not feel comfortable steaming your precious shuttle, but if you do, you can pass it through kettle steam before "pinning" it. Place a light scrap of cloth over the tips to prevent marring and then secure with the clothes pin and leave over night. Check it the next day and if the tips aren't tight enough, repeat the process.
Sharon Briggs

Posted by junebugs301
on Sat Aug 3, 2002

Hi Laurie,
My answer may make tatters all over the world shriek, but I'm new so I don't know any better. My shuttle that did not meet ends was bone...so I boiled a pot of water, took hemostats and held it in the water a few seconds, to get it nice and hot..and immediately clipped a clothespin on each end , then let it sit and cool. Voila...ends touch , and the wood or bone isn't going to melt. Please ladies, if I did this wrong...no letters please..I'm stil learning!
LOL

Posted by judymactat
on Sat Aug 3, 2002

I have a lot of wooden tatting shuttles that I purchased from "Turn of the Century". The points on these don't separate - they are one solid piece of wood - not three pieces glued together. If you purchase more shuttles, you might want to consider these - they have so many different kinds of wood it makes you mind spin! Each one is more wonderful to the touch than the one before - hard to get much tatting done when you want to just rub the wood for the feel of it!

Posted by junebugs301
on Sun Aug 4, 2002

Ha ha, I know that feeling . I do more feeling my shuttles than tatting sometimes. I love the way the Mother of Pearl and Abalone feel. Silver feels almost "illegal" to tat with, the wood is exquisite, bone is very nice, Aeor is most practical, still waiting for my ivory...and I do like the little unfancy Clover and S.Bates plastic. I try to change around, too..to make sure everyone gets "their" turn I think the older the shuttle is, the better it feels. junebug

Posted by rtccccmg
on Sun Aug 4, 2002

"wooden shuttles sprung - but if you do, you can pass it through kettle steam before "pinning" it. - Sharon"

I used that for my celluloid shuttle and ruined it. Where it was pinned, instead of touching, it lay flat, like a ducks beak. I tried everything I could think of and when the tips don't touch on my shuttles anymore, I toss them, give them away, or let the children play with them.

If there is a good way to save sprung plastic or celluloid shuttles I would love to know what it is :-)

Carol

Posted by rtccccmg
on Sun Aug 4, 2002

I have a lot of wooden tatting shuttles that I purchased from "Turn of the Century". Kathy

Oh my gosh, yes - Diana Andra (hope I spelled her name right) is an absolute genious with shuttle making. I bought some tatting accessories and a shuttle from her and LOVE them. I want to get another one - her shuttles have a really unique thread design on them. The only problem with Turn of the Century is the last time I tried to purchase more shuttles they were so busy and had sold most of the ones they made, there were none available. There were just the two of them making things and the demand for their exquisite work is so high, they may not have anything in stock at the time. My wooden shuttle has a metal hook embedded in the end - it is small enough that it doesn't catch and I love it.

Oh, to answer the question about what kind of wood? I have shuttles made from all kinds of wood and haven't noticed much of a difference. Some woods are heavier, but shuttles are so tiny that the weight doesn't make much of a difference. David Reed Smith shuttles are designed to be light and F-A-S-T and are lighter than Turn of the Century or Roseground.

Carol/NIN

Posted by mjeannez
on Sun Aug 4, 2002

Hi
Is turn of the century online?
Thanks
JeanneZ

Posted by rtccccmg
on Sun Aug 4, 2002

Diana Andra's DiAndra@FloatAbout.com webpage is www.floatabout.com (http://www.floatabout.com) and she sells pens (she is also the one who makes the wooden shuttles) - go to the link at the bottom of the page for Turn of the Century - the direct link is http://www.turn-of-the-century.com/tchome.htm

It is Bill Schmidt and Diana Andra that owns Turn of the Century,
1676 Millsboro Road
Mansfield, OH 44906-3374
419-529-8876
bill@turn-of-the-century.com

I also ordered knitting needles and crochet hooks from them, they are exquisite!

Carol/NIN

Posted by dolly_wi
on Mon Aug 5, 2002

I checked out the Turn of the Century site, but no tatting shuttles are listed. Do you know if they still make them????

Dolly Hollander

Posted by awlartist
on Mon Aug 5, 2002

I have 2 black rubber based plastic shuttles, both ends are sprung. They have been like since before I got them, some 25 years ago, and I just left them alone, they are part of tatting history. Collectible and they have been well loved.

Laura Coleman

Posted by junebugs301
on Mon Aug 5, 2002

Laura, I only have one thing to say...AMEN! Just picture one of your well used, well loved shuttles 100 years down the road. Wouldn't you like to know it ended up in the hands of someone who would "spoil" it or just adore it??? junebug