PDA

View Full Version : Tatting Shuttle ~ Removable Bobbin or Not? Which is better?

Kimonogirl808
12-08-2009, 07:43 AM
I was just curious what type of tatting shuttle is better to use? A tatting shuttle with removable bobbin (i.e. Aero) or a regular shuttle without the removable bobbin.

wickedtats
12-08-2009, 09:52 AM
It's all up to personal preference. Some like flat shuttles, some like post shuttles some like bobbin shuttles.

Personally I like post shuttles over the flat and bobbins. I feel that I can't wind much thread on bobbin shuttles and I feel funny that my thread is exposed so i don't fancy flat shuttles.

BUT there are also pluses to both. For bobbin shuttles, partially filled bobbins can be removed and replaced with fresh bobbins and TADAH you have an empty shuttle rdy for use (as compared to post shuttles where you have to unwind!). For flat shuttles, you can potentially wind much more and there's no worry of 'overwinding'.

Whatever rocks your boat! Hope that helps.

Jon Yusoff
12-08-2009, 10:10 AM
I don't know which is better to use. I think it goes down to your preferences. Personally I prefer post shuttles because that was what I first used when learning to tat. I tried the bobbin shuttle but do not feel comfortable holding it in my hand.

I use flat shuttles for small projects that require two shuttles but not that much thread on the second shuttle. In this case my main working shuttle will be a post shuttle.

Linda S Davies
12-08-2009, 11:59 AM
This is interesting. This question was asked on another forum some time ago and the general consensus was that bobbin shuttles were most preferred. I, however, are in agreement with Jon and wickedtats. I much prefer the post type, I find that the bobbin ones don't hold enough thread and if it has a hook incorporated it constantly catches on my work really slowing me down - which I hate!

Angela
12-08-2009, 12:37 PM
I, too, perfer post shuttles. I learned on a post shuttle and they do feel very comfortable in my hand. My favorite shuttle is the little clover. I tried a bobbin shuttle and it felt very awkward. I have two or three bobbin shuttles but they just sit in my shuttle box.

Marty
12-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Unlike everyone else that has already replied, I prefer bobbin shuttles. I think most people prefer to use what they learned with. I learned with a bobbin shuttle -- an old Boye metal one (which I would NEVER use now). Once I discovered the Aero shuttle I put away the metal ones. I didn't even know such a thing as a post shuttle existed for years. I got my first post shuttle last year. I have used it for a couple of things, but don't care for it much. I'm addicted to the little hook on my Aero shuttles and cannot use those post-shuttle picks at all. I don't seem to have the difficulty Linda does with catching the hook in my work, but have caught those sharp picks everywhere (including the palm of my hand -- don't ask). I bought a couple without picks. Okay, they hold a lot of thread, but I don't like having to pick up and put down the crochet hook all the time. I even bought a couple of little Clovers. So far, I've just looked at them in their package. I'm afraid if I let them out, those picks will attack me.
Finally, I bought a David Reed Smith shuttle with a hook on the end (they can be purchased without a hook). Now, THERE is a post shuttle. It's beautiful to look at, lovely to work with, and has that useful little hook.
In other words, try a few different shuttles. Find what makes it comfortable for you to tat your very best. Then enjoy!

9bdh1
12-08-2009, 03:55 PM
If you are catching your work with the hook on an Aero shuttle it's likely that the bobbin is in the wrong way. Try taking the bobbin out and flipping the shuttle over, reinsert the bobbin. It works...really. I do it all the time.

Ridgewoman
12-08-2009, 05:31 PM
I was just curious what type of tatting shuttle is better to use? A tatting shuttle with removable bobbin (i.e. Aero) or a regular shuttle without the removable bobbin.

As you can tell, this is a subjective, individual choice!
I like my English Aero Bobbin shuttles, because I can have an extra bobbin full of thread at the ready. I don't have any problem with the 'hook' on the end; I find it very helpful.

I like both the clover post shuttles (small and large) and Shuttleshop post depending on what I'm tatting. I also like my large ceramic (ladyshuttlemaker) post shuttles to use as Shuttle #2 on large projects because they hold a lot of thread! I enjoy tatting with my David-Reed-Smith, and GMArts. My favorite smallest bobbin shuttle is my Silent Tatter (from England).

I have long fingers (size 7 glove) so can handle a larger shuttle. The size of one's hand does make a difference. I have a friend who doesn't tat with anything over 2".

If you can, experiment with the different shuttles. With a post shuttle, be sure to 'walk' the thread on it or the thread will twist. Or, use a post shuttle winder. I use the sewing machine to load thread on my bobbins.
Hope this helps....BJ :heart:

katie
12-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Yes, it's all about what works best for you. Do yourself the favor of trying all the different types. You may find you like one over the other, or maybe you like different ones for different types of projects.

I started with the Clover shuttles with the picks. I could not hook the thread to do joins with them, though. I got tired of always having to pick up a hook to do joins, so I gave the Aero shuttle a try. I prefer it, because of the built-in hook. (If you face the hook away from you, it doesn't catch.)

I modify all my aero's, though, to get rid of the bobbin winding post on the back of the shuttle. It was just too long for me with that.

As for the bobbins, I do wish they held more thread, but I'm ok with that. I love being able to pop out the bobbin still attached to a project to use the shuttle for another project. I have a Sidewinder electric bobbin winder, that I use to wind all my bobbins. That saves a LOT of time.

My dream shuttle (& hopefully my Christmas present this year) is a GR-8 Shuttle Brothers shuttle.

9bdh1
12-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Katie ( and everyone else),
Have you seen the "neutered aero" available at www.tatsall.ca?
It has the hook moved to the bobbin winder end and the plastic bit that held the hook cut off. Great if you love Aeros and like a shorter shuttle because it keeps the bobbin winding end. I have two they are my favorites.

AnneB
12-08-2009, 07:44 PM
It is only you who can tell what works best for you!

And the only way of finding which on is best for you is to test several kinds, and not only one kind of post shuttle, or one kind of bobbin shuttle or one kind of flat shuttles.

And the only way of testing more shuttles is to buy different kinds of shuttles.

As for shuttles with a hook, test them with the hook facing both ways. I need to have the hook facing right and the thread exiting to the right to make it work.

Happy collecting shuttles!:thmbup:

Best
AnneB

Who once thought she needed only Millward post shuttles but now usually uses Aero bobbin shuttles, swiches to post shuttles when she can't find spare empty bobbins and uses flat shuttles for bead work :w00t:
And just realized she need a double bobbin shuttle - or similar :biggrin:

AnneB
12-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Looks great - have to test it! :devil:

Marty
12-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Aero shuttle a try. I prefer it, because of the built-in hook. (If you face the hook away from you, it doesn't catch.)

I modify all my aero's, though, to get rid of the bobbin winding post on the back of the shuttle. It was just too long for me with that.

I got a giggle out of this, Katie! I always face the hook toward me so it doesn't catch. :biggrin: It must depend on how one tats. I must have hands like BJ's because the Aeros are just the right size for me -- bobbin winding post and all. In fact, sometimes I tat with my fingers holding the shuttle just above the post. If the winding post was gone, I'd drop the shuttle!

Isn't it interesting how we can all make the same pretty stuff with different implements and techniques?

katie
12-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Katie ( and everyone else),
Have you seen the "neutered aero" available at www.tatsall.ca? (http://www.tatsall.ca?)
It has the hook moved to the bobbin winder end and the plastic bit that held the hook cut off. Great if you love Aeros and like a shorter shuttle because it keeps the bobbin winding end. I have two they are my favorites.

Yes, I've seen them, & I actually tried to order one, but I never received a PayPal invoice, so that's when I decided to modify my own.

Since I have a bobbin winder, I don't really need that winder part anyway. Funny what one will resort to out of desparation! :biggrin:

katie
12-08-2009, 08:55 PM
I got a giggle out of this, Katie! I always face the hook toward me so it doesn't catch. :biggrin: It must depend on how one tats. I must have hands like BJ's because the Aeros are just the right size for me -- bobbin winding post and all. In fact, sometimes I tat with my fingers holding the shuttle just above the post. If the winding post was gone, I'd drop the shuttle!

Isn't it interesting how we can all make the same pretty stuff with different implements and techniques?

:biggrin: It sure is!!

Tarie
02-11-2009, 04:01 PM

OHHHH! Is that what that thing that is always making it harder for me to tat because the shuttle is too long is for?!? I so did not know that! I was wondering why it had that strange little end that seemed pointless. LOL Maybe I'll give that shuttle another try since winding my bobbins is sometimes quite tedious.

RankkaApina
02-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks for bumping this up Tarie. I learned a lot about it. I had to google a bit, but I realized I actually have all 3 kinds of shuttles. I just bought the flat ones because they were cute bunnies, haven't tried them yet. But post vs. bobbin: I like the bobbin ones if I do something small and there might be some thread left for another project. I like to be able to just switch the bobbin. But if I'm doing something bigger, then I like the post shuttle: less thread ends :) They actually sell only post shuttles in Finland, so before finding online stores, I thought that was what all shuttles looked like :)

coretta
27-05-2010, 02:12 AM
If you are catching your work with the hook on an Aero shuttle it's likely that the bobbin is in the wrong way. Try taking the bobbin out and flipping the shuttle over, reinsert the bobbin. It works...really. I do it all the time.
hmm maybe I'll give my Aero another try. I hate the huge butt on the end... what is that for? I use my little clover post shuttles. My husband bought me a metal shuttle and it kept sawing my thread I feel bad that I have all the bobbins for it and rarely use it. I can't get my work as tight as I like with bobbin shuttles... or the thread binds on itself and that makes me upset. I also rarely use a crochet hook, since I learned to make all my joins using the pick. But since using the Aero I do find I reach for a crochet hook when the join doesn't work with the pick the first time. I like my shuttles to hold a lot of thread.
Oh the neutered Aero looks like a winner.... So many things to try. I love this place!

Lynn
27-05-2010, 03:41 AM
I have to agree with Linda. I tried the Aero bobbin. I really liked the ease of winding the bobbin, but that hook made me bonkers! It didn't matter which way I faced it. I even turned the shuttle around so that I was holding it backwards, and that made things worse. I loved using my Milward, but lost the little hook that goes with it. I still use it, and use my retractable pen hook with it. My all time favorite shuttle is the Boye post shuttle - the original red one. And, of course, they are no longer made. So I am treasuring the ones I have. I am very careful not to overwind them and never use beads with them. I have several Clovers. But I recently received some Sewmates, which I think are going to be my second favs after the Boye. And they are still in production! I find that the Boyes and Sewmates both fit my hand the same way.

See what I did? I experimented with several different kinds of shuttles. Actually, I am still experimenting. The Sewmates are a very recent acquisition. I'm also looking at some David Reed Smith shuttles that I think I just may have convinced my DH to consider for an anniversary-birthday-Christmas-somekindof gift. Never stop experimenting. Of course, you will usually go back to what is comfortable and works best for you, but don't limit yourself to just one kind of shuttle. There are all kinds of surprises out there for you, and some of them will be good ones.

Imoshen
27-05-2010, 05:39 AM
I have post, flat,and bobbin shuttles. I use the flat for projects that don't need alot of thread. For medium projects I use post, also I use these for some beading projects. And for larger projects I use bobbin, simply because of the ease of changing thread. I have different bobbin shuttles, the regular DMC metal is a cheap easily replaceable one I can get here at my local crafts store. I can also use larger bobbins on it without worrying about breaking it too soon because of the the metal 'band' holding it close. I've mostly replaced these cause they get misplaced rather than broken. I also recently purchased a GR8 shuttle from the Shuttle Brothers, but I found this one takes some getting used to since the bobbin doesn't flow freely like the DMC shuttles. And I'm about to add the Pop-A-Bobbin shuttle being sold by Jane Eborall for her sister, into my collection. It seems that the bobbin would flow like the DMC one's and I'm hoping it would, because as much as I love my metal the wood shuttles stay in my hand easier.

Liyarra
27-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Ah good idea AnneB - I also have trouble using the bobbin shuttles cos they are too long for my hand. I might try giving one the "chop" and see if it makes a difference.
Do you think they hold as much thread as the post shuttles??

Sewicked
27-05-2010, 01:10 PM
No one has mentioned my favorite shuttle, the Just-rite. It's a metal post shuttle that breaks apart. It's much easier for me to load than most post shuttles, but it holds thread like a post shuttle.

I generally prefer bobbin shuttles because I can load several bobbins and throw them into my tatting bag, forgoing the need to pack the entire ball of thread. That's important when it's a large ball of thread and a small bag. If I'm working on a large project, with large thread, I'll turn to a flat shuttle, like a Lady Hoare. Also, when I'm doing historical demos, I turn to the flat shuttles.

Marty
27-05-2010, 03:18 PM
hmm maybe I'll give my Aero another try. I hate the huge butt on the end... what is that for?
Oh the neutered Aero looks like a winner.... So many things to try. I love this place!

The flanged end is to hold the bobbin when you wind it -- the shuttle itself makes the handle. I would NEVER neuter my Aeros! Maybe I like them so much and they work so well for me because I've been using them since ... hmmm ... forever.

Marty
27-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Oh, while I'm thinking about shuttles -- my new favorites are my pop-a-bobbin shuttles made by "'im in the garage" (Sally's husband, and Sally is Jane Eborall's sister). I recently received a purple heartwood (I think -- it's loverly purple, anyway), and a walnut one. Now I have four of them. I think the purple one is my favorite, though. It is a little slimmer than the first two and a bit longer than the walnut one (don't you just LOVE handmade things?). The bobbin moves easily, but never unwinds like a mad fool. I'm scared to take them out of the house, though. It would be an awful thing to lose one of them.

xstchntat
27-05-2010, 03:39 PM
my favorite is a Mother of Pearl shuttle I got on ebay that is a post shuttle. The way it was made(long ago I am sure) it will hold a whole ball of DMC tatting thread or my vintage Coats and Clark, Star threads with out spreding the ends. It is also beautiful and draws attention when I use it away from home. I have expeimented with many types of post and bobbing shuttles though and for everyday at home I use clover or boyes with the removable bobbin about equal.

Valerie
27-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Oh, while I'm thinking about shuttles -- my new favorites are my pop-a-bobbin shuttles made by "'im in the garage" (Sally's husband, and Sally is Jane Eborall's sister). I recently received a purple heartwood (I think -- it's loverly purple, anyway), and a walnut one. Now I have four of them. I think the purple one is my favorite, though. It is a little slimmer than the first two and a bit longer than the walnut one (don't you just LOVE handmade things?). The bobbin moves easily, but never unwinds like a mad fool. I'm scared to take them out of the house, though. It would be an awful thing to lose one of them.

i own all the three types: post, aero and the small slim ones. my vote's for the post shuttle. i love the first post shuttle that i bought from my tatting teacher but i'm increasing using more of the clover because the sharp tip is so convenient for me to retro tat. :p

i bought an aero with plastic bobbins and recently one pop-a-bobbin. i must be using them wrongly! (i'd not seen how pple tat with these.) i find my thread gets stuck in the bobbin and can't be drawn out. do u know what i'm saying? as a result, i keep trying to pull at the thread but the bobbins won't budge or turn very little, like it's jammed. i wonder what i'm not doing right... does anyone know if there's a video demo using an aero shuttle? much appreciate some guidance.

MercyPres
28-05-2010, 01:24 AM
I like bobbins so I can load new color without having to empty the shuttle. I do like the gr8 and aero better than my boye so far because, once I learned how, the bobbin turns easier for me. Also the gr8 bobbins fit on the regular bobbin winder. I find now the boye doesn't slide out of my fingers so much now that I have been using the gr8. I also like the aero because the bobbins are easier on the fingers. The one I have now though I put a piece of thread in bobbin center so it doesn't unwind indadvertently.

Lynn
28-05-2010, 07:25 AM
I generally prefer bobbin shuttles because I can load several bobbins and throw them into my tatting bag, forgoing the need to pack the entire ball of thread. That's important when it's a large ball of thread and a small bag.

I do the same thing with my post shuttles. If I know I'll need to rewind a shuttle, then I'll go ahead and wind a few extras before I begin tatting. These days, I'll do that anyway and use one shuttle as the ball thread. Saves a lot of room in the tatting bag, which is important when the bag must fit inside my purse on the buses.

Liyarra
28-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Marty - do you find the Pop a bobbin ones are a little long in the hook??

Marty
28-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Marty - do you find the Pop a bobbin ones are a little long in the hook??

The hooks are longer than some of my Aeros (I have a couple with really long hooks for some reason), but they don't bother me. The hooks are also a bit different, and took a little getting used to, but they are such a pleasure to work with! I will say that I've never had trouble with catching my thread with the Aero hooks, and I don't have any trouble with the Pop-a-bobbin ones either. It may have to do with the way I tat -- I slide the shuttle up and down rather than back and forth. (Not a very clear explanation, is it?)

Whoa!! What's with the HUGE blank space before the quoted comments these days??
Huh, never mind, it seems to be normal now. Must be my browser or something...

soyloquesoy
28-05-2010, 11:57 PM
I agree with all the previous posters who stressed it is a very personal choice, and no better way to make it than trying different shuttles!

I just voted "post", but I must stress I have only had the opportunity to try DMC metal bobbin ones, and clover post ones.

I don't like to feel the metal frays the thread, and find it unnatural to get more thread out of the bobbin as I tatt.

Ah, I have also a post one of my granny's which I loved when I tried it - but I have not yet found a project that "called me" to use the thread it's filled with - and as that was how I got it, filled by her years ago, I do not fancy emptying it...

soyloquesoy
28-05-2010, 11:59 PM
Oh, and I have also used a pen cap as a "flat" shuttle, and it was almost comfortable actually!

squeeky
29-05-2010, 02:03 AM
I like having shuttles with bobbins, but usually they're too heavy for my hands to handle comfortably. I like my aero-style shuttles, but they wear out so fast, I seldom get more than 2 uses out of them before the clicky is stripped. I've got some of the metal shuttles with metal bobbins, but they're just too heavy and I don't use them unless I don't have another shuttle available. I've got a dozen of the "clover" style post shuttles and they're my "go to" shuttles because they're small, light and fit in my hand well.

I had a wooden fish shuttle that I loved, but was still getting accustomed to the length (it was almost as long as my hand!) when I lost it and another wooden shuttle that I adored.

gahorsley
29-05-2010, 11:43 PM
My preference is a post shuttle, although I learned to tat with a Boye bobbin shuttle. I guess my all time favorites are my Clovers still, but my David Reed Smith is about to bump them I think. MercyPres's husband is going to make me a handmade bobbin one out of some of the hardwood from daughter's floor DH put down. I have got to send him an old crochet hook that was either my mom's or more than likely my grandmother's (that I never knew). MercyPres didn't really want me to cut the crochet hook up for the shuttle hook if it was sentimental, but better to have it on a shuttle that I will use than hidden away in a box, right?

Lynn
30-05-2010, 02:16 PM
MercyPres didn't really want me to cut the crochet hook up for the shuttle hook if it was sentimental, but better to have it on a shuttle that I will use than hidden away in a box, right?

Absolutely! The hook is now yours, wherever it came from. If you're at all sentimental about it, better to have it in a form that you can use and enjoy. Your mother or grandmother would no doubt approve of you putting it to a good use.

DJtatt
30-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Dooooh! (hits forehead with palm) That's what the other end of the Aero is for! I have several but haven't taken them out of their packages yet - saving them for tatting starter kits. I seem to keep straying back to my Susan Bates metal one, even though I find it a bit slippery when used with smaller threads. I have tried sterling - too slippery, ivory - nice but not socially acceptable, different shapes of plastic - I do like ones that have small ridges on their surfaces to help hold my large thumb. I also don't like post as much having to put down work for joins, but have also stabbed my hand with especially small, sharp hooks, and occasionally still catching thread on previous completed portion when tatting a larger or more complicated piece.

xstchntat
11-06-2010, 02:18 AM
My all time favorite shuttle is the Boye post shuttle - the original red one. And, of course, they are no longer made.
Lynn I love these as well but I have 3 red and 1 yellow and 1 green one I got from grandma.

HJ Hess
11-06-2010, 02:53 AM
As my experience with bobbin shuttles has not been positive, I do not like using them.
On the other hand, post shuttles are my FAVORITE, especially the ones with a pick. I learned on the red Boye shuttles, which are no longer available. Wright now makes the "Boye shuttle" but it doesn't feel the same. Clover is my preferred, with SewMates coming in second.

gahorsley
17-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I got one of the red Boye's in my estate sale treasures and used it the other day. It is quite nice, however the pick seemed a little dull. In other words, unlike the Clover's when I hooked through, it wasn't sharp enough to draw blood like my dangerous little Clovers!!!

DJtatt
21-07-2010, 05:16 AM
As my experience with bobbin shuttles has not been positive, I do not like using them.
On the other hand, post shuttles are my FAVORITE, especially the ones with a pick. I learned on the red Boye shuttles, which are no longer available. Wright now makes the "Boye shuttle" but it doesn't feel the same. Clover is my preferred, with SewMates coming in second.
Hegla, what was your 'not positive' experience with bobbin shuttles? I find myself really missing the bobbin when I am doing a pattern that switches from ring to chain to ring to chain ad nauseum.....I like to quickly just shorten the thread from the shuttle by running the shuttle and bobbin along my leg to take in slack. Much slower to wind up the thread, and then unwind it again for the next ring.

xstchntat
21-07-2010, 07:07 AM
I learned on the red Boye shuttles, which are no longer available. Wright now makes the "Boye shuttle" but it doesn't feel the same.
Hegla I also got one of the newer ones made in China and not in Chicago and they are not the same. The plastic feels more flimsy if that is a word. I use the old ones I got from Grandma all the time. I'm just not sure why everyone refers to them as red all the time when I have yellow and green as well. Did they maybe make more of them in red? I would also be interested in your 'not positive ' experience since I was thinking of getting one of the bobbin shuttles.

tatknot
21-07-2010, 06:13 PM
I find four personal advantages to a bobbin shuttle:
(1) I find them faster to load and unload with thread.
(2) My tatting method requires that I lengthen and shorten the thread between most rings and chains. The bobbin shuttles put less stress on my thread than the post shuttles.
(3) Mine have hooks on the end which makes joining simpler.
(4) They hold more thread than my Clover post shuttles, but this might not be true when comparing other post shuttles. I use them almost exclusively for larger threads because of this one advantage.

That said, I still find the Clover post shuttles to be wonderfully comfortable in my hands and they are very easy to find. I love them in spite of their disadvantages.

RandaGray
21-07-2010, 06:33 PM
I love my Boye metal shuttles :) I started out with Susan Bates, the metal ones (which I now can't stand), bought some clovers (too small), an Aero type... a GR8, then my favorites, the Boye's; after that I've tried a few different kinds; a bone post shuttle w/ no hook..... I like to think I'd take it if I went somewhere modern shuttles weren't welcome. Then I bought a pair of the Sew Mate ones from Lacis. I get the hook caught everywhere on them, but I hate having to pick up a crochet hook every 2 seconds. So I use them when I'm working on a project that requires 2 shuttles, simply because it's too hard to remember which is which on my metal ones. But usually, I use my Boye metals. I'll never understand all the bad reviews on them! I'll always love them I suppose ;)

crazytatter
26-08-2010, 01:26 AM
i started with clover ones, they are great, I love the picks even though i poke myself with it all the time but they are satisfying when using. I especially like it when the clover ones makes clicking noise while tatting. I got some Aero ones too, I am still trying to get used to it. I am having some problems with the pick as its not as easy to connect the picot if the hook isn't facing correctly and it is harder to tell which way the hook is facing then seeing which way the pick is facing.

That is all I have so far other than needles.

Kaira
26-08-2010, 09:38 AM
I like the Clover shuttle and the Aero. I also like the Jan Stawasz shuttles; they are big and holds alot of thread but is just as comfortable as a Clover.

I'm looking for a clover-like shuttle made of wood - with an attached crochet hook. Does anybody know if someone makes shuttles like this?

I would also be interested in peoples opinion on The shuttle shop shuttels.

Susan B T
26-08-2010, 11:15 PM
I will use either kind. I have some old shuttles that are French Ivory with the same material for the bobbin. They are nice to handle. They however do not have a hook like Aero's.

On any shuttle that has a hook I have the hook pointing away from me.

I like all kinds not any particular brand.

Lynn
27-08-2010, 03:22 AM
Lynn I love these as well but I have 3 red and 1 yellow and 1 green one I got from grandma.

Thanks to our very own Patty, I now have a green one and another red one. And I'm looking forward to receiving a brand new, one of a kind, never seen before, hand made wood post shuttle. But who's crowing? This bunch of tatters has to be some of my favorite people in the world.

grrrlshapedthing
26-11-2010, 09:31 PM
I really like the size of the clover tortoise shell shuttles, but the aero style shuttles are the easier ones to find so thus what I used more often but I find that even with the bobbin winder cut off (I can wind the bobbins on my sewing machine) it's still a bit cumbersome... I like that the bobbins are removable so when I get a flight of fancy to change projects mid go I can just pop the bobbin out, unfortunately the brand I use has different size bobbins to the actual aero so I now have 15 or so aero bobbins I can use only on one of my shuttles instead of 8 of my shuttles... and birch(the shuttle's maker) doesn't seem to sell just spare bobbins

LadyDoc
27-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Looks like it has all been said! :) However, since opinions are always welcome....

I always much preferred Clovers- they fit my small hands. I took several classes where Aeros were required and hated them. I recently got a neutered and decorated Aero from LaCosette and finally like an Aero. Now I will have to buy more and neuter them myself, lol!

themadtatter
27-11-2010, 09:57 PM
I love and am most comfortable with the Aero shuttles (especially the neutered one I got from LaCossette, but I never take that one out of the house for fear of losing it). I have recently acquired a semi fondness of those little clovers as well. I recently purchased a GR-8 (plastic) and was absolutely disgusted by it. Maybe I got a defective one or I wasnt using it right but when I pulled more thread from the shuttle the bobbin would either tighten or loosen depending on which way I had it wound. I absolutely hated it and ended up sending it back for some clovers which I am liking more and more. I would love it if the Aero would come with different size hooks though. Like a size 15-16 for when one wants to tat with size 80..... I would like to try a David Reed Smith but the hooks on his look like flattened hooks and I dont think I would like that. I tried with those metal boye shuttles and hate them with a passion! If anyone knows why my GR-8 acted funny or if the DRS shuttles have a "regular" type hook let me know!

carolivy
27-11-2010, 10:00 PM
I loved the design of the Aero, but wore the poor thing out after one project, so I guess I will stick with my post shuttles. Of the Clover and the Sew Mates, I have to say that I prefer the size of the Sew Mate shuttles.

Sherongb
28-11-2010, 01:04 AM
Re the GR-8: many folks find they have to adjust the tension every time they adjust the thread length so it's not you it's the shuttle design. Some folks are able to hold the two sides of the screw tightly enough so that moving the bobbin doesn't change the screw tightness.

If you want a bobbin shuttle and don't want an aero (and I am talking about either the German made ones or the ones made in England not the white plastic Susan Bates ones) I would suggest checking out the Pop-A-Bobbin shuttle available from Jane Eborall (It's not a traditional crochet hook but is a decent hook not something flattened) or a Silent Tatter (available through Roseground). And none of them come with different sized hooks. Sorry.

Sherongb
28-11-2010, 01:08 AM
I loved the design of the Aero, but wore the poor thing out after one project, so I guess I will stick with my post shuttles. Of the Clover and the Sew Mates, I have to say that I prefer the size of the Sew Mate shuttles.

Which Aero did you have? If the white Susan Bates one I agree it's not worth what you pay for it. Usually the gray ones that say Made in Germany are better. And with them one thing you can do is pad one side of the bobbin (or maybe pad one inside side of the case) so the bobbin is forced against the ribs on the other inside side. It sometimes helps. And when I got a couple of the English Aeros from Jane a few years ago I found that some of the bobbins I had that ran on all my other shuttles behaved nicely in the English Aeros (and are still behaving nicely).

carolivy
28-11-2010, 06:57 AM
I had a German made Aero. After one project though, I had completely worn the ribs off the shuttle, so that the bobbin spun freely. Such a shame too as I reallllly liked it! How does one go about making sure to get one of the English made Aero's?

Marty
29-11-2010, 12:10 AM
The English made Aeros aren't made any more. You might luck out and find one on Ebay. I've found that if you cut off about a half-inch of a large size rubber band and stuff it in the hole in the shuttle, it won't spin free anymore.

carolivy
29-11-2010, 11:49 AM
I hate having to cobble things to make them work. I gave that shuttle and my metal Boye one to my brother to play with to see if he can come up with a wodden version that I will like. So for now, I guess I will stick with my Sew Mates and Clovers.

Ellie
29-11-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm most familiar with the bobbin shuttle (love changing bobbins for different threads). However when traveling by air, use the post (cheaper and less threatening). Recently, I realized that the thread can dictate what should be used- there seems to be less untwisting of the thread with the post (after frustrating unraveling with a bobbin shuttle).

RandaGray
29-11-2010, 03:24 PM
After all my posts about the love of the bobbin shuttle, I'm learning to use the post shuttle as well.... Like Ellie said, I have learned they both have their uses. I suppose I have to say now that I don't particularly have a favorite type, just a sentimental favorite. :)

picotsnkeys
29-11-2010, 03:51 PM
I like different shuttles for what I'm trying to tat.

For all around single shuttle tatting: my wood shuttle. It has a cut out design and an inlay on one side. Love it. Feels very comfortable.

For two shuttle tatting, I use shuttles I can tell apart. Usually two different color Clover shuttles.

For beading, I like to use my gumbo Tatsy shuttles. That way the beads stay hidden until I need them.

For quick color changes, I use my bobbin shuttles.

I'm still learning a lot and still trying out new techniques and ideas, so I'll be trying out new shuttles.

Wonder what Santa will bring???

Crnp55
05-12-2010, 08:06 PM
My fav bobbin type is the antique "Detach-a-Spools" Love love love them.I think it is because they handle a lot more thread than Susan Bates I think. I forgot about Silent shuttle...I have them as well and use them reguarly but becaus ehtey do not pop out as easily I go to the Detach's..I truly hate Aero's don't know why I think it is the noise the make when I pull out thread. I have some but they are only used when I travel on planes . Post styles...I am all over David Reed-Smith as my absolute favorites. I also like Shuttle shops smaller ones for the 80g threads I favor.

It is just like knitting needles...everyone has a fav and everyone is right!

coretta
06-12-2010, 01:52 AM
I have never seen Detach a spools... till I looked them up from your comment. I would love to try them, I hate the crochet hook on the Susan bates. I think the pick would be so much better!

Sunny_0ne
08-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Well, after working my first project with the Aeros, I am crazy about having the hook for joining. And I really love having the bobbins instead of having to tie up shuttles with leftover thread.

But I am finding that I don't enjoy tatting with them. With the hook and the bobbin winder, they are just way too long to be comfortable for me.

Maybe I'll do what someone else mentioned and try cutting off the bobbin winder and see if that helps.

Also, I looked for the ridges that Carol mentioned in mine and I don't see them. Mine just have a smooth half round bump on the inside top and bottom to slide the bobbin hole into. The bobbins themselves have the geared looking grooves, though.

carolivy
08-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Well, after working my first project with the Aeros, I am crazy about having the hook for joining. And I really love having the bobbins instead of having to tie up shuttles with leftover thread.

But I am finding that I don't enjoy tatting with them. With the hook and the bobbin winder, they are just way too long to be comfortable for me.

Maybe I'll do what someone else mentioned and try cutting off the bobbin winder and see if that helps.

Also, I looked for the ridges that Carol mentioned in mine and I don't see them. Mine just have a smooth half round bump on the inside top and bottom to slide the bobbin hole into. The bobbins themselves have the geared looking grooves, though.

Do your bobbins freely spin then? When I first got mine, they had the ridges along 2 sides of each of the bumps that kept the bobbin from freely spinning. When you pulled on the thread, you would hear a "click-click" noise as the gear grooves of the bobbin would pass over the ridges. After my first project though, the ridges had worn completey off and the bobbin spun freely. I tat fairly tightly, so when I would go to snug up a stitch, I would end up pulling out more thread....yuk!

Sunny_0ne
09-12-2010, 02:06 AM
Carol, I took another look at the Aero. There are two lateral raised lines in the center on each side of the central bump, and there is one small v-shaped ridge that catches the gears in the bobbins.

No, they don't spin freely, and yes, they do make a clicking sound. I tat very tightly, but I must subconsciously do something that keep the thread from pulling out when I close a ring or tighten a chain.

I am going to do some small butterflies tonight to put on the ends of ribbons for bookmarks. I am planning to use the Clover. If there is as much difference as I remember, I will probably go back to using them and the larger SewMates most of the time.

The removable bobbins are such a wonderful concept. Too bad the shuttle is just awkward for me to work with.

carolivy
09-12-2010, 11:29 AM
I don't remember ever seeing the V-shaped ridge on mine, just the two raised lines in the center of each bump. Maybe my shuttle was defective from the get go, but like I said someplace else (I think), for the price I paid (including shipping) I'm not about to order another to see if it is better made. I really do like my Sew Mates so will just keep tatting away with them.

Vonnie
08-01-2011, 03:41 PM
I love my AERO and the fact that I can interchange the bobbins. I only have 2 shuttles, so if I want to do more than one project at a time, the removable bobbin is a GREAT asset. Both are removeable, the second is a BOYD and the bobbin spins alittle too freely. But I'm having trouble finding MORE bobbins for these retail...might have to go online and pay shipping..ugh;)

PattyD
08-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Vonnie, you can usually get several items for one shipping charge. There are quite a few online tatting suppliers and they are a lovely group of people to deal with. I always look at shopping online like going to the grocery store: I only go for a single item when I absolutely have to have it, otherwise I make a list and then get everything in one trip.

RandaGray
09-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Vonnie, The Boye shuttles can be fixed of the free spinning by taking out the bobbin & squeezing them a little... The stick the bobbin back in & with mine if they're bent in too much, i just pull them apart a little. Doesn't seem to hurt them. I use metal Boyes almost exclusively & love them :)

Vonnie
09-01-2011, 03:10 AM
ooooo! Thanks for the tip:) I'm still new at this:) I've bid on a few from ebay so hopefully I'll have a larger collection soon:)

Sherongb
09-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Actually if you have the old, old Boye metal shuttles you can put the bobbin on the tail. If it fits it also snugs up the sides of the shuttle. And that is one of the ways you can tell if you have an older Boye or one of the newer ones, or even one of the 'look alikes'.

RandaGray
09-01-2011, 06:52 PM
All of mind are newer... Well I had an old one at one time but I'm pretty sure someone got sticky fingers & it got put on Ebay in between my move from my Dad's house & my home with my husband. I wish I still had it - they were bigger it seemed like, with bigger bobbins. Shame that a drug addiction will make someone close to you steal for what I'm sure ended up being less than $10....

Vonnie
10-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Alas, I must have the newer one as the bobbin won't fit on the end. But pinching it worked just fine...no slipping:) Thanks ladies!

northern robin
08-08-2011, 07:42 PM
I am trying out Susan Bates version of a removable bobbin shuttle. The bobbin ( new) is too tight so I have to unwind it by hand when I need more thread..and the winder is useless cause the bobbin does not actually fit on there. the hook is a nice size..I can slip a bead on it..slip the bead on the picot and am already in place for a join action...wish I had been able to try out the England Areo..but only german ones available..have not used pop a bobbin or the G8 version. I am hoping since the bobbin is too tight..it will wear out more slowly than the German Areo ones..which I have read about somewhere loose their resistance and become too free flowing..I have one of those , hardly used.

mmccurry
16-08-2011, 03:15 AM
I like the post shuttle. I have tried various bobbin shuttles and they eventually start to unwind when I'm tightening the stitch.

PattyD
16-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Almost all the shuttles I actually use are post shuttles, Clovers or Sew Mates. When desperate for a shuttle to just try something, I'll use anything, almost. Simply will not use metal bobbin shuttles, we are not simpatico.

tatting margaret
16-08-2011, 08:49 AM
This is an interesting subject really is whatever we learned on and what we perfer.
I learnt on a shuttle with a post in the middle, which I perfer, I can load a lot of thread onto it and work better than one with a bobbin, its a question of what you learned with, I dont like hooks on shuttles as they can get stuck into the hand, I tried one and it did not last very long before it was thrown across the room after stabbing me more than once, Its in the workbox and thats where it stays. Bethany my grand daughter is learning and was given clovers with a hook tip, I tried to show her something and the hook got in my way so many times I was thinking of buying a few new ones but I wont be buying any of them either.

I have told my grand daughter whatever you learn on thats what you will use for the rest of your tatting life.

RandaGray
16-08-2011, 01:12 PM
I don't know, Margaret... I learned on a metal Susan Bates, which I later came to hate, then I got addicted to the metal Boyes... I think I might have even posted about that on this thread!! But in the last few months, I've become a huge fan of the post shuttle... Not just any post shuttle, but Clovers (& occasionally sew mates), which I admit I might have confessed a true hatred for this time last year! Now the only bobbin shuttles I have that I actually use are a pop a bobbin & a very very old boye - the big metal ones that the bobbin actually fits on the back of. And I don't use either of them near as much! I keep my 4 metal boyes in the tool box, but don't reach for them like I would've 6 months ago. So I guess I"m a convert!! Of course, I've also been called strange once or twice in my life...hmm... :)

Sherongb
16-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi Margaret: Some of your problem with unfimiliar shuttles might be how you are holding them. Different ways work for different people. So if you have tried using the shuttle with the point with the point pointing down try with the point pointing up. And vice versa.

Also remember that when you learned to tat the first shuttle you were learning on felt wrong, it took you time to get used to that shuttle And it can take as long, if not longer, to get used to the different type of shuttle.

Think of all the tatters who keep on trying different shuttles to find that sweet one, the one that feels just right, that tats like a dream.

So to me it seems that yes you will tend to tat more frequently with a shuttle that is a familiar, comfortable to use shuttle. But if/when it stops meeting your needs (you find things that just don't work the way you think they should) you try other shuttles. The great point is that they make so many different types of shuttles we can all find the one that will work for us.

Sonja
16-08-2011, 09:17 PM
I have a lot of shuttles of different style, but on the moment I use the clover most. I did the Jan Stavaz-methode and the Aero and clover worked perfect. But since I changed to the usual way of working I work quicker when I use the Clover and have a little problems with the Aero. Did not try the other shuttles since I changed.