PDA

View Full Version : Barbara Foster "teardrop"

intocats
23-10-2012, 12:12 AM
Hi! I have done a little bit of shuttle tatting and this past weekend decided to try needle tatting. I have Barbara Foster's books 1 & 2 and her DVD. My question is...after closing a ring and reversing the work, she talks about a "teardrop" where you bring the needle back up. I see this in the pictures but my work has no "teardrop", just threads. :shock: Can someone explain this to me?

Thank you so much!

Judy
23-10-2012, 07:47 AM
She tells you to put the threads, both ball and needle to the top, and what you just finished at the bottom. Pick up what you just finished and turn it over like the page in a book. That's where you REVERSE The work and do a single overhand "shoelace' step. The two threads CROSS. The "teardrop" is the shape formed BY the threads between where they cross and the ring or chain you just finished. The thread that is on top will be the thread that comes up through the teardrop. So, this one step does three things in needle tatting. 1. It ties or locks the core thread so that the tension on the ring or chain isn't lost. 2. It reverses the work and 3. It repositions the ball thread and needle thread to where they need to be when you start the next ring or chain. Technically its a single overhand knot -- the first half of a square knot... So, you probably just flipped the work and thought that was the reverse...Nope, back up, and put in the knot, also.

intocats
24-10-2012, 03:06 AM
Thank you, Judy! Your post was so helpful. I tried again and this time I got it. I even printed out your explanation and placed it in my Needle Tatting book so I can refer to it again.

Still trying to decide which I like better, needle or shuttle! But there's no reason I can't do both!

Thanks again....Mary

Judy
25-10-2012, 06:56 AM
No reason at all not to learn both. I am a terrible shuttle tatter. I taught my tatting student first to do needle, and then to do shuttle... It pains her to watch me try to tat with a shuttle. However, I understand the principles, and it helps me to explain needle to shuttle tatters. It takes a bit of getting adjusted to. Something like learning Portugese if you know Spanish or Italian. There's lots of overlap, so you focus on the differences.