Knitting Supplies at Craftsy.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shuttle vs ball

Default shuttle vs ball

Could someone please explain the difference between using two shuttles and using shuttle and ball? Thank you

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Re: shuttle vs ball

When you are making split rings or doing Catherine Wheel joins, having the chain thread on a shuttle rather than a ball makes thread manipulation easier. Also, if you have two shuttles you can change the direction of the curve of the chain more easily. Finally, having the chain thread on a shuttle allows for throwing off of rings or Josephine knots or probably other things from your chain. For simple designs in which all the chains curve the same way, keeping thread on a ball minimizes thread waste. Of course, it is much easier to carry 2 shuttles in a purse than it is to carry a shuttle and a thread holder.

I would echo what Susie said... also it gives you a lot more ease of freedom with the design and is very helpful when working with different colors on the same round.... for instance maybe the chains are not all the same color, or the rings are not all the same color ... with a different color on each shuttle they become interchangable and you can use the colors as and where you want.

I tend to use two shuttles nearly all of the time, even when it's not necessary. I find that it's so much easier to tat with two shuttles rather than with a shuttle and a ball.

If for some reason I decide to use a ball instead of a second shuttle, I often pre-cut the ball thread and wind it around one of those tiny plastic thread holders, so at least I don't have to worry about manipulating (and toting around!) a whole ball of thread.

I tend to prefer tatting with two shuttles instead of a shuttle and a ball. I like to work in two colors and switch between them whenever I want. I have yet to find a pattern where it is an issue substituting a shuttle for a ball.
    http://rosecoloredglasshalffull.blogspot.com/
    http://sbspokane.wordpress.com

I would much rather tat with the ball thread on a shuttle, even if not needed (for those thrown rings etc.) as I find the weight of the shuttle makes it easier for me to keep an even tension for those chains. If, for some reason I have to tat off the ball, I have to wrap the thread too many times around my finger to keep the tension.
    Freelance Graphic Designer www.craftsuprint.com/carol-lepard
    Card Blog www.bycarolivy.blogspot.com
    Tatting Blog proudneedletatter.blogspot.com

I hear ya Carol! And echo your thoughts exactly.... I did make an exception for the Honey Napkin because it was so big, and used the ball on a few of the ring-&-chain rounds just to avoid dealing with ends but I was still struggling with it.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoCanuck View Post
    I hear ya Carol! And echo your thoughts exactly.... I did make an exception for the Honey Napkin because it was so big, and used the ball on a few of the ring-&-chain rounds just to avoid dealing with ends but I was still struggling with it.
    Something big like that, I will probably just use one of my Tatsy shuttles as the ball thread as it will hold SO much thread.
    Freelance Graphic Designer www.craftsuprint.com/carol-lepard
    Card Blog www.bycarolivy.blogspot.com
    Tatting Blog proudneedletatter.blogspot.com

I have issues with the ball rolling away when I use it instead of a shuttle (though I've found a hair clip on the ball helps it roll less). There's also the issue of my cat. She is more interested in batting at a ball of thread than she is at a shuttle.
    http://rosecoloredglasshalffull.blogspot.com/
    http://sbspokane.wordpress.com

I'm a mobile tatter. Most of my tatting is done on buses, or standing in lines. So using a second shuttle for the ball thread works a lot better for me, even when the pattern doesn't require it. Try chasing down an escaped ball of thread on a moving bus and you'll see exactly what I mean; but that's just because of my living conditions. If your pattern says you need two shuttles to accomplish it (for split ring, thrown rings, etc.), you'd better believe you'll need two shuttles. Otherwise, it's up to you.
    Blessings <>< Lynn
    Brighten the Corner Where You Are