Knitting Supplies at Craftsy.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tablecloth

Default Tablecloth

I was asked the other day by one of my Bingo Players to tat her a round tablecloth. Ugh... ok... it might take me a few years but ok. now all I need is a pattern. do any of you have a pattern you are willing to share with me?

Default Re: Tablecloth

You might like to look at this thread: http://www.intatters.com/showthread....in-Translation
    It's a long thread; you can see the tablecloth gradually growing. Look particularly at Post #55, where there's a picture of the completed tablecloth in the pattern book. My jaw dropped when I saw that!

The pattern is from an antique pattern book called Priscilla Tatting 2, reprinted as a Dover book, Tatting Patterns, edited by Julia E Sanders. It's possible to get Priscilla Tatting 2 in PDF form, but mine somehow omits the tablecloth. I decided I would buy the Dover book, and I'm quite happy I did. It's full of lovely patterns, and it's much easier to do them from a physical book. (Right now I'm gearing up to do the Victorian Trellis Doily, on p. 19 - much smaller! )

Your Bingo friend has a really good friend in you. I hope she appreciates you appropriately.

The first thing that comes to mind is to use larger thread and really big shuttles. Depending on the size of the finished project, you may be able to adapt a doily. Those done in rounds, where some of the rounds are repeated, lend themselves to being enlarged simply by continuing established patterns. Some doilies are really quite large done in smaller thread. By doing one in a size 10 or larger, you can gain a few inches without adding any rounds to the pattern.

You can also join motifs together until you get to the size you want. Choose a motif that won't drive you crazy and that will join together smoothly. Or, you can use a few different motifs that fit together nicely. Quite frankly, you can use just about anything you want to. The tablecloth that Grace mentions uses several different motifs. You can see from this one example how different motifs can be used together for a quite striking effect.

Happy hunting.
    Blessings <>< Lynn
    Brighten the Corner Where You Are

Blog Entries

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh my. My first thought is not the most charitable I will admit - but anyone who truly appreciates the work that goes into this craft would not have the gall to ask a friend to do a project that large and time-consuming so I would be assuming that it would not be a good idea to proceed, your many years of work will probably not be appreciated.

Now, let's make an assumption that you absolutely adore this person and couldn't give a fig whether or not she will really appreciate your efforts. May I suggest that you go with a very 40s 50s idea and add lace to a linen cloth? The following ideas will still be a lot of work, but not nearly as much as a full lace cloth would be.

waltraudnaumerbackcover.jpg586266356_tp.jpgil_570xN.307904679.jpg

First image is from a book so pattern likely available. Second is an old ebay auction, no real useful information, third is available on Etsy at the moment for 1,237.33 (includes napkins) which gives you an idea of the scale of what your friend has asked for.
    Please post any queries to the help forums first, I may take a few weeks to respond to private messages here

Following Kersti's suggestions, I did a tablecloth a few years ago that was made of four handkerchiefs. It's very similar to the first picture in Kersti's post.

http://www.intatters.com/showthread....ief+tablecloth

You can use pretty much any edging that can join to itself. (But I'm with Kersti, only go ahead with this if you really want to or if you can charge the earth for it)

Blog Entries

A fully tatted cloth is nice.... but I also like the ones that have fabric and tatting mixed....
    good luck and keep us posted on your progress....
    SUSAN

Enjoying Life.

I'd like to teach you a new word - "no".

Ive had requests like that from people in the past. My response is usually "no, sorry, but I can teach you how to tat and support you while you make your own if you like."

I normally wouldn't jump in so bluntly but they way you've posted it makes me feel that you don't really want to do it and I wanted to back up that part of your thinking and say its ok to say no to requests like that, even to the best of friends.

But if you were already thinking of attempting it... In any case, let it bring you tatting joy, not steal it.

GraceT you read my post so well. :) I am just learning how to tat and feel like she thinks I do more then I do or that i dont have a life. This lady I do not know other then she comes and plays at the Bingo hall I volunteer at. I'm having problems just making my mom a doily for Christmas. ( I made one and as I was smoothing it out right after I got done with it it began to unravel where I added more thread to it.)

Sounds like it was quite a casual request, then. Would it be all right not to take it seriously? Have the tablecloth out there like Mt. Everest, but take your time to approach it, and it's okay if you never actually climb it! Meanwhile, I hope you are successful in fixing your doily for your mum.

I myself have only finished one doily so far! I'm getting near the end of a second one, which was actually the first one I started, a long time ago. I think I tatted too loosely in the beginning rounds. Then I tatted too tightly. Now, I'm somewhere inbetween... I think no one will notice.