This is a challenge I'm planning to do for myself, and I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else would be interested.
There is a German tradition that a new married couple's Christmas tree should include 12 ornaments to ensure a happy life together. Each ornament holds a different meaning:
1. House - shelter/protection
2. Heart - true love/love of family
3. Flower or Flower Basket - good wishes, beauty in the home
4. Rabbit - Hope/Faith, peace with nature
5. Birds or a Bird in a nest - happiness/joy
6. Fruit or fruit basket - generosity, plenty
7. Fish - Christ's blessing/fertility
8. Rose - Beauty/affection, the Virgin Mary
9. Teapot or Coffeepot - hospitality
10. Pine cone - motherhood/fruitfulness, eternity
11. Angels or Churches - God's guidance in the home, spiritual guidance
12. St. Nicholas/Santa Claus - giving and sharing, unselfishness and goodwill
There is a website for a cross-stitch Bride's Tree Stitch-along where people post which patterns they used for each month (This is where the information above came from - www.bridestreesal.blogspot.com) . All are so different and beautiful. I thought the idea would also translate well into tatting. I can think of patterns for most of them, some would be a little harder to come up with. Even if no one else is interested in doing it, I'd be interested in ideas for patterns to use for each.