Knitting Supplies at Craftsy.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you prefer needle tatting or shuttle?

Default What do you prefer needle tatting or shuttle?

Firstly, I like to say hi to everyone, newbie here. I mostly sew and crochet but am always trying to find ways of making my sewing projects that much more unique and individual. I would love to add some tatted trim to things. (here's a link to my recent sewing projects http://www.flickr.com/photos/angeleyes88/sets/

I have to be honest I dabbled a little bit in tatting before my kids were born but wasn't really good at it. I never knew that the was even such things as needle tatting before last night. So am wondering if there really is that much of a difference between needle and shuttle tatting and which one do you prefer and why?

Also I'm a little confuse as to the forum set up. where the section to find resources to learn to tat?

Default Re: What do you prefer needle tatting or shuttle?

For learning to tat, check out YouTube for video; there are also online classes: search this site -- Georgia Seitz offers classes, I think. There are also "Learn to Tat" books / pamphlets out there--check online. If you can't find anything, post again and I'll find some links for you.

I do both needle and shuttle tatting: there's also hook tatting and tatting using a tapestry needle, not to mention finger tatting. And, there's hybrids like cro-tatting.

For fine threads I prefer the shuttle: for thicker threads I prefer the needle: for travelling I usually take the shuttle since it is plastic and I'm not taking the chance of having my tatting needle(s) taken from me.

There are differences between tatting methods, and some techniques are handier using one or the other: learn 'em all if you want, then you can pick and choose what you want to do.

Enjoy!

BlueDode has shared excellent advice! I have tatted with a shuttle for 30 years and only have just picked up tatting needles. I think it is wise to explore them both. One will definitely be an early favorite. Once you have learned the basics and are aware of the advantages each method provides, you will enjoy the range of thread sizes and creativity gained from this wider knowledge base. (sorry if I sound clinical)

Blog Entries

Shuttle tatter, have tried needle and I am all thumbs.. cannot seem to do it... cannot finger tat either.
    SUSAN

Enjoying Life.

Shuttles for me as well. If only because you can get so many pretty and different shuttles whereas needles are just... needles! And I REALLY don't mean to offend needle tatters here. I love my shuttles and I think I can tat faster with them than I ever could with needles (but I'm sure people will tell me it's only a matter of practice). I suppose what's nice in the end, is that we're all different and all enjoy doing things differently!

Happy tatting!

Frivole

wow thanks for all the advice. I can't wait to try it. I think that I may try the needle tatting only because it' looks a little easier....and if I'm right it looks like you are able to work off the ball...not sure if you can with the shuttles. Is there anywhere in canada that sells the supplies.

Blog Entries

I don't know about specific to Canada, but there are gillions of online sources. A common favorite here is Handy Hands (hhtatting.com) or Be-stitched (be-stitched.com).... & Lacis (lacis.com).... Ebay often has neat things.There are others I'm sure, but those few are the ones I use. If you have Hobby Lobby up there in Canada, they carry a smaller selection of shuttles, needles, & threads. Mine also has a couple of how-to books.
    I still always look for "right here right now" sources, but usually I end up ordering online because it's easier to find what I want. HTH =-)

Since I only learned a few years ago it was fortuitous that I started with a needle since I have a nerve condition that makes holding the thread in my left hand an uncertainty. I have a half dozen shuttles and learned many of the shuttle tatting techniques but not enough to comfortably tat with them, or build up any speed. So, I can appreciate those who find one type suits them better than the other. I'm currently tatting with a #9 needle and size 60 thread, making an acceptable edging by Mary Konior. I do like the flexibility of moving from #3 to tiny stuff. I think my limitation on size will be my eyesight not my needle size. I bought the shuttles to work with small threads, but they're all sitting around with UFO's attached while the needles are moving forward.

Last time I checked Handy Hands shipped domestically only; I know Lacis will ship internationally, and US-> Canada postage / shipping isn't usually too prohibitive. Check yellow pages for craft/fabric/hobby stores: you might want to call first. I've seen tatting needles and shuttles at Hobby Lobby stores and shuttles at JoAnne's: not sure these stores are in your area. Any Canadian tatters out there?
    Last edited by BlueDode; 13-02-2011 at 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Hi Angeleyes, I'm sure you'll be able to find supplies in Ontario. Any good wool/knitting/haberdashery/sewing shop should carry some thread, though maybe not shuttles. I think Fox of the Tat-ology blog lives in Ontario... I'm sure she or other Canadian members would know a good online Canadian supplier.

Best of luck,
    Frivole
    Last edited by Frivole; 13-02-2011 at 09:30 AM.