Knitting Supplies at Craftsy.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: benifits of Needle vs Shuttle tatting?

Question benifits of Needle vs Shuttle tatting?

I'm sure this has been discussed before... but...I have only shuttle tatted and know nothing about needle tatting. Some of the doilies that I see are needle tatted and I was wondering if they could be shuttle tatted or do I need to learn both methods? Is one easier than the other... are there things that can only be accomplished by one or the other method....? You can tell I'm a newbie, right... lol

Blog Entries

Default Re: benifits of Needle vs Shuttle tatting?

Most things that can be shuttle tatted can be needle tatted and visa versa. I do both and have yet to find a pattern that can't be done both ways. I am sure there may be a few out there, but I haven't found them yet.

Like Rachael, I do both and haven't found anything that can't be done with both needle and shuttle.
    Freelance Graphic Designer www.craftsuprint.com/carol-lepard
    Card Blog www.bycarolivy.blogspot.com
    Tatting Blog proudneedletatter.blogspot.com

Thanks for the reply's... Now for another kink... Which do 'you' prefer and why? Would it be worthwhile to learn both or should I just stick with what I know?

I visited your site Carol, and I love your bookmarks and the doilies ... where can I find patterns for them ?

Blog Entries

For me, I learned needle tatting just enough to do rings and chains you know so that if my shuttles are all busy with a project on them, I can needle tat too. Needle tat isn't too hard to learn, there isn't a flip to it like shuttle tatting. I don't prefer one over another, it is just what it is for me so I can tat with no hinderance.
    Try, try, and try again...until the out come is presentable at least.....gc

Thank you for the compliment IdahoCanuck. If you can tell me exactly which one you are interested in, I can give you links to the patterns.

As to which one I prefer...I started out with needle tatting many years ago because there was no internet then and I could not learn shuttle tatting. I just could not wrap my head around it...lol So I was very happy when I found needletatting. I spent mannnny years thinking that I just could NOT shuttle tat....then last Fall, I was going to visit a friend by plane and couldn't take my needles but couldn't go that long witout tatting, so the wonderful ladies here helped me learn how to shuttle tat. I haven't really picked up my needles since I learned the shuttle, but I know I have threads that work MUCH better with the needle and when I'm ready to use them again to make more jewelry, the needles will come out again. I think they both have their place and as long as I can tat, I don't think it matters to me which I use.
    Freelance Graphic Designer www.craftsuprint.com/carol-lepard
    Card Blog www.bycarolivy.blogspot.com
    Tatting Blog proudneedletatter.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Alot of people say the needle is easier. I myself have tried & just couldn't get it right in 3 days. So I went back to my shuttle. If you're having a hard time, I'd suggest trying needles. Can't hurt to try... Either way you're tatting :)

I learned needle tatting only because of celtic tatting - it is impossible interweave 3 ring together with shuttles (two rings you can make if you interweave the second ring with first before closing ring, but you must close it and after closing it is impossible interveave next ring with it without unwinding shuttle) - but often I do rings with needle only with one thread, so not regular needle tatting rings..
    I think that all common patterns you can do with both..

Try the search function for some other threads on similar topics:
    I hope the link below works to pull one one of them up: I think there are others.

http://www.intatters.com/showthread....Needle+Shuttle

Learn both, and see what you think: I prefer needles for thicker threads and yarns, especially sticky/hairy/slubby ones. For some but not all celtic tatting patterns, needles may work better.