Knitting Supplies at Craftsy.com

Thread: Fair Tatting

Default Fair Tatting

The state fair is coming to California, and i was giving some serious thought to entering some tatting.

Seasoned fair entrees, have you got some advice for what kind of tatting to enter?

I was going to enter into maybe the bead->jewelry art division and the straight tatting division under fiber arts

I kinda know what i want to do for the jewelry but the regular tatting, i have now clue, right now i am working on a doily in size 20, does it need to be finer thread?
    we are the few, we are the proud, we are TATTERS!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fair Tatting

Personally I would use a 40 for fair work. It's not so stressful as 80, but still has that delicate look. But it really is up to you.
    Doilies are always good or a set of interesting snowflakes. Check on if you can frame them or not. I know with bobbin lace framing is a bonus for presentation and can hide some sins. I personally would use solids in a dark color (white may stain and then won't be showable). Though I've seen monochromatic variegated thread used for some large doilies that have won.

I too am thinking of county and state fair items. I just tatted up one of Jon's patterns in cream and green and it's rather striking; might have to do a set. Good Luck.
    The knot does not care how it is made. - PattyD

Blog Entries

Here in AZ under the tatting section there are different categories such as My first project(could be anything), Handercheif with tatted trim, Doily(entire item tatting or fabric center), House hold article(pillow case&sheet set-towel), Edging(minimun of 1 yard), Framed(entire item tatted or mixed techniques such as knitting&tatting-crochet&tatting), Mixed media, Ornaments(set of 3), Jewelry(all tatted or tatted with beads), tablecloth (all tatting or some tatting), bedspread(all tatting or some tatting), accessories(all tatted or mixed techniques) and so on and you have to know what category your item belongs in because if you enter it in the wrong one it gets disqualified. The only distinction for thread size is in the tablecloth and bedspread sections where it is coarse fiber(size 20 or larger), medium(size 30 to 50) and fine(size 60 and smaller). They do not have any distinction for shuttle or needle tatting. I don't know about California but you should be able to find out from the Fair's website or Entry forms. If you cannot find out that way they should have a director that you can contact with questions.
    I hope this helps.

well i have the handbook that they put out, and as usual there really isn't a lot for tatting. But, yeah all that information and suggestions were helpful. I may just enter the bead jewelry. To my knowledge there isn't all those distinctions....well i am kinda excited!
    we are the few, we are the proud, we are TATTERS!

Blog Entries

I wish you luck in winning no matter what category you enter!

I entered a small tatted glass mat, Mary Konior's Whirlaway, in a local fair last year. There were two "centerpiece" divisions, one larger than 6 inches and one smaller than 6 inches. I'm not sure who would ever use a centerpiece smaller than 6 inches, but there you go. I ended up getting first place in the smaller division (the doily is in my album) but there were only two doilies--the other was crocheted. My larger, crocheted doily received fourth place; the first and second-place doilies were huge and used more than one color. I thought it was interesting that they don't separate the fiber skills in any of the categories; my crocheted shawl and socks also won out over knitted items. I had fun as this was my first fair and I got three blue ribbons for the four categories that I entered. I'll be entering 6-8 categories this year for that fair, depending on what I get done.

This year I am doing a large crocheted multi-color doily for the large one and Mary Konior's flowerpiece doily in size 80 for the small doily--in 80 it should be small enough. I am also entering a tatted edge doily in the handkerchief category.

I'm also entering another, larger fair with more categories for doilies/centerpieces. They separate crocheted and tatted and knitted, crocheted and tatted solid separated from crocheted and tatted edge, and crocheted solid has several categories for various shapes. Each category has less than 12 inches and larger than 12-inches divisions. I'm just entering whatever I get done by August. LOL. But I hope to enter the hanky and two tatted doilies along with some crocheted doilies.

I'm warning you--fairs are addictive! Especially when you win!

Hi Shannon,
    If you are unsure of the information in the handbook, go online. You should find information on how to contact someone who can answer your question(s). I have seen tatted entries made in size 10 to what I believe was size 80, but that is here in Maryland. From what I am reading here every state fair has different requirements. Again, check with the California State Fair. Good luck! :)
    Rosemarie