Knitting Supplies at Craftsy.com

Thread: how do you tat a lock chain?

Default how do you tat a lock chain?

Just wondering how you make a lock chain (1st half flipped, 2nd half unflipped) in needle tatting? Do you finger tat those parts?

Default Re: how do you tat a lock chain?

I tell, and show how a lock chain is done in this post: http://www.intatters.com/showthread....ght=lock+chain
    Freelance Graphic Designer www.craftsuprint.com/carol-lepard
    Card Blog www.bycarolivy.blogspot.com
    Tatting Blog proudneedletatter.blogspot.com

Thanks Carol-I have just started a rosary pattern (ladytats) and it calls for lock chains . Of course I didn't notice that til I had tatted the first half a dozen split rings lol! and the tread is a nightmare for twisting. My lock chains are so short I can't tell if I have done them right, but at least they don't curve which is probably the whole point!!!!
    Cardiologist's diet-If it tastes good, spit it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Mogs View Post
    the tread is a nightmare for twisting. My lock chains are so short I can't tell if I have done them right, but at least they don't curve which is probably the whole point!!!!
    Try a thread conditioner like "Thread Heaven" to manage the twists -- quilters and bead crafters use it to tame their threads, too. Good luck!

I just found Thread Heaven in Hobby Lobby's beading section yesterday after reading about it on several threads (no pun intended). I can't believe what a difference it makes. No more snarls, tangles, or twists.
    ~♥~*~♥~*~♥~*~♥~janet~♥~*~♥~*~♥~*~♥~

thanks for that-I will have to see if I can find any over here! One question-when you do the 2nd part of the stitch, do you 'snap' it, or just tie off?
    Cardiologist's diet-If it tastes good, spit it out!

Quote Originally Posted by victats View Post
    Just wondering how you make a lock chain (1st half flipped, 2nd half unflipped) in needle tatting? Do you finger tat those parts?
    Had a second thought about this: I think I did something like this once to make the "tail" on a book mark. Consider tying a series of square knots to accomplish this -- a macrame thing -- finger tatting, I suppose. After all, you can tie a square knot and pull both ends of one of the threads to "flip" it to a square knot. Sometimes tools help, sometimes they get in the way.

Poem to tie a square knot by:
    Right over left,
    left over right,
    makes a knot,
    neat, tidy and tight!