Knitting Supplies at Craftsy.com

Thread: question about butterfly pattern

Default question about butterfly pattern

I want to tat this butterfly:
    http://www.allcrafts.net/fjs.htm?url...farfalla1.html

But I have a couple of questions.

The body: How do I tat it? Is it just a bunch of rings surrounded by chains or is it split rings?

Another question is the upper-wings. I get that I will have to tat it in three rounds, but how do I attach the third round because it starts and ends with chains. If any one has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Blog Entries

Default Re: question about butterfly pattern

I see where your questions are coming from. The upper wings start as a round motif with 2 rounds. That is all perfectly normal. Think of the partial round that starts and ends with a chain as adding a corner (one quarter of a round). To begin the partial round, I would thread the ball thread through the picot where the chain begins and then wind the shuttle with enough thread to finish the "corner". Starting in this way means you only have 2 ends to dispose of.

For the body, I would start with tail end with a ring then it is RW, chain, RW , ring until you get to the head, which has a few picots. The chain around the head has picots and joins to the last picot of the head. The last side is just chains from one ring to another and join, tie, cut and hide ends at the base of the first ring.

1 members found this post helpful.

I haven't tatted this pattern but I would probably do the body starting with the tail ring and do chain - ring - chain - ring - etc... Up one side, then down the other side with the chains attached to vs picots on the existing rings.... The wing could be done with a split chain where the last short top round starts as you climb out of the previous round & then ended & tied off to the picot & chain where it ends.

You tat one side of the body with the row of rings and chains and come back and make all chains joined to the rings for the other side of the body.

For the third round of the upper wing, start CTM with a lock join to the picot as in the pattern. Follow the pattern to complete the round.
    The way I see it, you can end the round in two ways:
    1. After you have finished the last chain, cut the thread and make a knot to the picot where the chain is supposed to join to, and hide the ends.
    or,
    2. make a split chain coming from the picot and work towards the last join made. Cut and hide ends.

For both cases, I can only think of sewing in the ends, but I recall another method where you can use the method where you use an auxilliary thread to pull the ends into the ds of the chain/ring. I am not familiar with this method and can't find the link to that instruction.
    Jon - in Malaysia
    Tat-a-Renda blog, Tat-a-Renda on Facebook
    ****shoot for the moon, if you miss it you'll still be among the stars****

Blog Entries

Patty D, right on, would do it the same way....plain and simple

Blog Entries

Frivole did a tutorial on how to hide the ends using the single shuttle split chain and it can be found here. She also did a video that can be found here. Thanks Frivole!

This pattern was recently discussed in this thread, it you'd like to take a look to see what we decided there. I still have the written interpretation of this pattern. If you'd like a copy, send me a PM with your email addy, and I'll gladly post a copy to you.
    Blessings <>< Lynn
    Brighten the Corner Where You Are