Knitting Supplies at Craftsy.com

Thread: quick question

Default quick question

I want to buy more bobbins for my plastic shuttles, but my shuttles are susan bates not aero, though they look exactly alike, and I can't find plastic bobbins in that brand. My question is will aero bobbins fit?

Default Re: quick question

Yes the Susan Bates uses the Aero bobbins. Are you looking for extra bobbins or is the one that came with the shuttle running away on you?

If you want more bobbins an online place such as Handy Hands carries them.

If the bobbin is running away on you people have suggested getting some of those reinforcing rings used for looseleaf notebook pages to reinforce the holes and put one of the bobbin or on the shuttle. This should add that nth of an inch to the height of the bobbin and tighten it back up.

No its not running away. usually dipping the shuttle in boiling water and pinching will solve that problem. I just wanted some more bobbins so that I wouldn't have to unload a bobbin in order to start a new project in a different color. I just started tatting a few weeks ago and only have two shuttles at my disposal.

Blog Entries

I congratulate you! I don't usually use the Aero type of shuttle, but I have not see the suggestion before of dipping the shuttle in boiling water and pinching it as a fix for a loose bobbin. This is a great contribution to general tatting info.

Yes the plastic on the Bates shuttle is softer than the Aero shuttle. You might try the reinforcing ring trick the next time it gets looser. And if ordering extra bobbins you might also order one of the grey Aero shuttles so you can see the difference.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the boiling water trick tip. The local yarn shop that carries tatting supplies also carries the Susan Bates shuttles, and many of mine have ended up getting replaced because the bobbin becomes so loose I cannot tat properly with them.

Also, in regards to replacement bobbins, try sewing machine bobbins. It may take a bit of trial and error to find one that fits, but I'm willing to bet there is a sewing bobbin out there that will. ;)
    Too much thread, so little time!

Quote Originally Posted by LaceMistress View Post
    Also, in regards to replacement bobbins, try sewing machine bobbins. It may take a bit of trial and error to find one that fits, but I'm willing to bet there is a sewing bobbin out there that will. ;)
    I went thru all my sewing machine bobbins and from boxes bought of estate sale items last year and found many sewing machine bobbins to fit in the different bobbin shuttles. I had not heard of the boiling water trick at the time and the loose aero started getting a sewing machine bobbin that fit snuggly. :)