Knitting Supplies at Craftsy.com

Thread: wrapping question

Default wrapping question

I am trying to do Victat's bangle bracelet. It is sooo cute! But I'm having problems with the wrapping around a bangle (bracelet). I went to Tat-a-Renda's site (as was suggested on an earlier post) but I still can't get it. I get the concept, but something is wrong. Can someone help?
    We can learn from our dogs: wag more, bark less.

Blog Entries

Default Re: wrapping question

victats has a tutorial on how to do the wrapping.

Holly Ann: You are forming the stitches just as if you are making a split chain, or forming the stitches for the second side of a split ring. In either case the bracelet is the core thread. I find the way Marie Smith shared of making the stitches much easier to do, although not everyone agrees (isn't it great that there are different ways so everyone can find the way that works for them?). I know Jane Eborall has a written tutorial on how to do it Marie's way and Mark Myers (Tatman) has a video on Marie's way that you can look at.

Why do I find Marie's way easier? I find I have more control over the thread than the other way, and as I am forming the second half of the stitch I am positioning and tensioning the first half of the ds.

Thanks! I saw victats tutorial but it is for shuttle and I was trying to use the needle thread (not the end like a split chain). It was close, but not right. I'll have to check out the sites. Thanks again!

You will be using the needle like a shuttle for forming the stitches around the bangle. Since the bangle acts like the core thread you only need to use the one thread. If you are working floating rings your one needle will be used (as you normally use it) to make them.

I've been making loops (from needle thread) on top of the bangel and then from the bottom. I put my needle through the loops. This doesn't seem right. My stiches are all twisted and not making the nice DS look. Can anyone explain the technique in lay terms?

Blog Entries

2 members found this post helpful.

Covering a ring can be worked from right to left OR left to right, whichever suits your needs. For the bangle I recommend left to right, so that the first half of the DS is on the left and the second half of the DS is to the right.

The first loop comes up from under the bangle into the center of the bangle. then the needle or shuttle comes over the bangle through the loop. BUT, DO NOT TIGHTEN DOWN. You can reduce the loop but leave it a little slack.

Now the needle or shuttle is in front of the bangle.

Take a loop back from front to back under the edge of the bangle and then take the needle or shuttle through the loop, over the edge of the bangle.

The bar of the loop over the needle/shuttle thread is the cap of the DS.

Pick up the bar of the DS and tighten the first side by pulling on the bar.

Tighten the second side of the DS by pulling on the needle/shuttle to close the DS.

If your work does not look like a DS yet, put a crochet hook or the needle under the cap of the DS and tighten again. After the first one, it gets easier because you have a completed DS to tension against.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, not seeing your work, I can only make a conjecture.

But I think it might help. I will reference Jon's tutorial here: http://tatsaway.blogspot.com.ar/2009...ring-with.html

Do you see the right hand picture of "Step 1"? The loop crosses below the ring.

Look at the left picture of "step 2": the crossing point of the loop has been mover to be over the ring. And the needle is passing through the part of the thread that goes to the needle. That step is very important to get the double stitch forming. With the method shown, you will be drawing the thread to cover the ring from the needle side, so make sure to leave enough there.

Hope this helps!
    My tatting and other creative endeavours http://creativasuculencia.wordpress.com

As usual, PattyD just said what I meant much more eloquently!
    My tatting and other creative endeavours http://creativasuculencia.wordpress.com