Knitting Supplies at Craftsy.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needle and Shuttle Tatting Terms

Blog Entries

Default Needle and Shuttle Tatting Terms

A group has been created to collect discussions about how needle and shuttle tatters should interpret instructions for each other's methods. The group is Needle and Shuttle Terms. Let's try to get a comprehensive list of terms that are unfamiliar to tatters who usually use the other method.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Needle and Shuttle Tatting Terms

I started with a few of them. I also added a place for terms that are the same but done differently. These are ones I remember off the top of my head.

What a great idea to try to compile this into a concise, useful reference!
    My tatting and other creative endeavours http://creativasuculencia.wordpress.com

Needle tatting the Single Shuttle Split Ring (SSSR) should be added to the collection of "shuttle to needle" instructions. You will be working with a length of thread cut from the ball. You will need to know how to "flip" the stitch, because the second half of the SSSR is made by maneuvering the needle like a shuttle. The complete directions can be found in the two posts before the last to "Needle Tatting the SSSR."
    Rosemarie

Thank you for this reference. I have been struggling how to include a needletatter in my conversations. This will greatly help. It's not that we weren't communicating, but I always felt like I was trying to translate like a foreign language speaker and missing the boat. When that happens and I'm actually speaking with someone not fluent in English, I feel bad. I will treasure this so that I can use a more inclusive manner of presenting ideas, patterns, ask for tips, etc.
    Melanie

what is a dimpled ring??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trisha1218 View Post
    what is a dimpled ring??
    Here's a you tube demo of someone making a dimpled ring. And a pic of a string of dimpled ring heartsDimpled Hearts On a Chain 001.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6rIk...ture=endscreen

Here's a dimpled ring, or dimpled yorkie made by Carolivy
    Last edited by Batty Tatter; 11-11-2012 at 03:10 PM.
    What does it profit a man to gain the whole world, but lose his own soul.....
    http://madtatter-madtatter.blogspot.ca/

Social Butterfly Judith Connors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1 members found this post helpful.

Rather than re-invent the wheel completely, you will find that there is already 'An Illustrated Dictionary of Tatting', available at Lacis Publications. This should be a handy place to start. Then you can add any extra terms you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmre View Post
    Needle tatting the Single Shuttle Split Ring (SSSR) should be added to the collection of "shuttle to needle" instructions. You will be working with a length of thread cut from the ball. You will need to know how to "flip" the stitch, because the second half of the SSSR is made by maneuvering the needle like a shuttle. The complete directions can be found in the two posts before the last to "Needle Tatting the SSSR."
    Rosemarie
    Hm,... that bit of directions confused me. Why isn't it worked like every other needle split ring? The left side can be a ball thread, or cut off the ball -- no matter. The right side is finished with the thread that's going through the eye of the needle -- no flips involved, or have I missed something?

Blog Entries

Judy, you have an excellent point. However, the issue is that the loop must be anchored somewhere by going around something that will prevent the loop from simply coming undone. And that means that the needle must no be there. However, it occurs to me that if you re- thread the cut thread onto a temporary needle (a piece of wire folded on itself, you can complete the DS required, remove the wire, anchor it and close the ring. Closing the ring is a two step tango: first close the ring by pulling on the core thread, then pull out the excess needle thread wherever the cut thread exits the ring.

There are 3 things that I know of that can hold the loop end of the SSSR:
    1. Taking the loop around the single thread that precedes the SSSR being made.
    2. Taking the bare thread from the first element through the loop and pulling the bare thread into the element so that the loop of the SSSR and the bare thread end are both inside the tunnel of stitches and hooked together.
    3. Placing a bead on the loop so that bead prevents the loop from coming completely undone. Alternatively, the bead can be placed just before the ring and the loop can be anchored around the bead. This method really helps when you absolutely, positively must have a join on an SSSR.

The objective of an SSSR or any split ring, really, is to have the core thread exit a ring at an unnatural place in order to complete a design.