Knitting Supplies at Craftsy.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winding A Shuttle

Default Winding A Shuttle

Yes, I really am asking a question that is this stupid

It has indeed been many a moon since I've tatted. I have been spending a bunch of time watching online tutorials to re-familiarize myself with the techniques but I can't for the life of me find anything that shows where the thread should be coming out of the shuttle. Should I wind it (& hold the shuttle) so that while I'm tatting the shuttle thread is exiting ...

(A) out the left side of the shuttle, "tail" pointing away from me,

(B) out the left side of the shuttle, "tail" coming toward me,

(C) out the right side of the shuttle, "tail" pointing away from me, or

(D) out the right side of the shuttle, "tail" coming toward me?

Default Re: Winding A Shuttle

I know what you mean... if you wind it with the end coming out in the wrong place, it seems to make the shuttle more fidgety.

Because I can't tell left from right and looking at it facing me confuses me even more, here's a pic:

Shuttle Wind.jpg

With the point of the shuttle facing away from me and the shuttle top facing up, I wind counterclockwise.

Does that make sense or did I confuse you more?

edited to add: I'm right handed. If left handed, I guess it'd all go the other way?
    Last edited by squeeky; 28-07-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: afterthought
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkGreen]:emoji-E022: & :lucky: = :twothumbsup:
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkGreen]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Blog Entries

Mine is with the tail coming from the top left side, toward me. If there's a hook it faces left as well.
    What does it profit a man to gain the whole world, but lose his own soul.....
    http://madtatter-madtatter.blogspot.ca/

Blog Entries

3 members found this post helpful.

This is a truly excellent question! It is exactly these little details that never get written down.

Well, at one time in my career, I thought that there was ONLY ONE WAY. That is not true. Tatting is not made by the shuttle, tatting is made with the hands. And the ergonomics of your hand dictate the most comfortable and productive position to hold the shuttle. It's Tatter's Choice.

There is a slight error in your descriptions of the possible place the tail can exit.

When you find the position the you like best for holding your shuttle with any sort of a pick, you can wind the thread clockwise or counter clockwise and this distinction matters because the pick can only be in one position at a time and determines where you start.

If you don't have a pick on your shuttle or if you use a bobbin, wind it any which way and simply flip the shuttle or the bobbin over until you get the thread to exit where you want it to.

Back to the pick position. When you hold you pick shuttle in the position you prefer, to get all the options of exit points, you have to determine whether to wind it clockwise or counter clockwise.

Wind Clockwise
    If you want the thread to exit at the top and on the right
    Or If you want the thread to exit at the bottom on the left

Wind Counter Clockwise
    If you want the thread to exit at the top and on the left
    Or If you want the thread to exit at the bottom on the right

Now comes the winding part

It is very nice to wind your shuttle so that you don't add twist to the thread. The method is called walking the shuttle.

Attach your thread to the shuttle and wind it clockwise of counterclockwise as determined above until the thread does not slip on the shuttle post.

Hold the shuttle between your thumb and forefinger in the hand you normally use to hold the shuttle.

Right Handed
    To wind clockwise leave the shuttle in this position. To wind counterclockwise, turn the shuttle over leaving the pick pointing away from your hand.

Left Handed
    To wind counter clockwise, leave the shuttle in this position. To wind clockwise, turn the shuttle over leaving the pick pointing away from your hand.

Hold the thread from the ball in your opposite hand in a position that you can put a little tension on it to control the flow the thread.

Winding

With the shuttle in the proper position determined above:

In the hand with the shuttle reach your middle finger and push the tip of the shuttle down, seeing to it that the thread is winding on onto the shuttle smoothly. The opposite end of the shuttle should be in place where the first end of the shuttle was. Use your middle finger to keep pushing each end of the shuttle down until the shuttle is full.

Oh, Patty,.. My answer, as an only occasional tatter, is D. You're right to explain all the options, but I'll have to print it out and highlight my choices as I go through.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyD View Post
    It is very nice to wind your shuttle so that you don't add twist to the thread. The method is called walking the shuttle.
    This was the first thing I learned in the Online Tatting Class. AnneB, Thank You! Walk the shuttle - I couldn't remember what it was called - Thank You, PattyD! - and unroll the thread. Unrolling the thread is more difficult than walking the shuttle for me but easy to forget. It makes so much difference for me; I seldom have to drop the shuttle while I'm tatting to let it unwind. Then too, I take breaks every 15 mins or so and always let the shuttle drop before I put it down so it'll be easier to get started again.

It makes a huge difference... once you find the situation that's comfortable for you, it'll make your work go so much more smoothly.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkGreen]:emoji-E022: & :lucky: = :twothumbsup:
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkGreen]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks everyone! I think I understand the walking principle : ) I will go ahead & play with the thread coming off the shuttle in different directions & see how things go. Sadly I am OCD & getting beyond the fact that "there's more than one way to do something correctly" has always been a tough concept for me to deal with ... lol! Wish me luck : )

Blog Entries

The longer I tat, the more ways I have learned to do everything! Just watch the videos on youtube. Everyone does it differently and that's great news because I know there are some things that hurt me and some things that don't. So you know what I pick!

I wind counter clockwise. If thread gets twisty, I just let go of the shuttle and let it spin. No fancy moves there! :P

Shirlee, the answers you already have here covers everything about winding a shuttle, as far as I can see. But I do have one more thing to add. As you can tell from the enthusiastic answers you have received, there is no such thing as a stupid question. If you need an answer, then you need to ask. Don't every let anything stand between you and the answer you need. Post, and as shown here, you'll get all the answers you could possibly want.
    Blessings <>< Lynn
    Brighten the Corner Where You Are